News Ticker
  • Minecraft Server 1.19 is Live!
  • Monster Hunter Sunbreak Out Now!
  • WoW Season 4 Starting 8/2/2022

Black Desert Online

System Daemons

Pirate MMO/survival - 1200 times larger than ARK

Ojore

For anyone that wasn't in TS today Dirtay and I was looking at new survival/MMO (supposedly mmorpg). It's made by the company and ppl that made ARK, of course that means I'm concerned with optimization but overall I had a lot of fun and ton of hours with that game. This game is pirate themed and it is supposed to be WAY more massive than ARK. It is supposed to be 1200 times larger of a map than ARK and 40K - 50K players on one server. It hits early access on steam on Dec 13 (next week) it will cost $30. Dirtay, his friend and myself are all most likely getting it (I might be a day late) but it looks really interesting here is a pcgamer article on it and trailer

https://www.pcgamer.com/atlas-mmo/

Edited by Ojore

Understood. Is there any base building as well are is this game designed in a way to always keep us moving from one location to another?

In Eve we would typically have a *home* system and station. I believe I heard that in this game we wouldn't necessarily be able to control were we go, as this will largely be dictated by the direction of the winds. - I wonder if we will have any sense of a *home* in this game, if we run the chance of not being able to get back to home in a reasonable amount of time. 

Depending on the length of travel, I would find the above exciting, not knowing when the next time I will be able to make it home, I feel that adds more to the adventure.  

Yes there will be base building and boat building. There will be 700 unique islands per the articles and just like ark you can build your forts/bases. Per articles each area will have different resources so to get those resources you will need to travel to get them. As far as wind yes your sails have to get wind to move forward so it might make getting home challenging, also the map is supposed to be so big going from one side of the map to the other could take a long time even if there wasn't any wind requirements. There will be safe ports so I'm assuming if you want to log off because you can't get home you will need to find a safe port and dock there kinda like eve. I can see like eve that there will be territories that are owned by certain groups that will be aggressive so you will need to cautious and then if you're part of a large alliance you will have areas that are protected. The game will have a governing feature that will allow a group to own an island or territory and that can be taken away from other groups so very similar I think to eve, but this feature will not be in the game at launch per articles I have read. But the more I think of it, if the map is large enough I can see the game being very similar with eve on wars against corporations/alliances which I think would be fun. Of course it all depends on how the game plays and how many ppl actually play in the server. 

You also need to make gold for various reasons from what I can read so you also need to treasure hunt which is pve oriented like sea of thieves and it looks like the mobs you have to fight are not a cake walk but we will see. Also there will be random skeleton pirate ships that pop out while sailing (again like sea of thieves) that you can kill and get rewards including saving NPC's that you can then employee to fight with you. I almost think of that like pve stuff in eve. There will be harder mobs to fight also like mini bosses the article about the 5 headed hydra was pretty interesting, each head has a different attack causing different affects and you have to kill each head individually. It won't die until all heads are destroyed, so you most likely have to be strategic on which head to kill first and if it takes to long to kill each head the heads can grow back.

But it will still be a survival game so you need to make sure you have water and food to survive as well. For a survival game with mmorpg parts it seems like it could have a lot to do even at launch so I'm pretty excited.

Oj

• Upvote 1